The most conservative county in the most conservative state in the country…
It can’t happen here…
All is well…
If it can happen here, it’s probably happening in your school district too.
(Please spread this message)
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
After sending someone the first draft of my story (right-click to save the pdf), she wrote back that it kept her up till 1 am reading it and then she couldn’t go to sleep till 4 because she was so mad. I can only hope it has the same effect on you when you see these events and concerns chained together. I hope it will help you realize that a change in educational leadership is needed in Alpine School District (ASD).
The full story is attached which details the experience of many parents in dealing with ASD over the last several years including the Investigations math fiasco, down to some of the latest disturbing events which you may have read in the press concerning the district’s infatuation with someone Charlotte Iserbyt calls “the nation’s premier change agent.” I hope you will read at least portions of the attached letter, but I will post 2 things below for your convenience. First my endorsements for school board race candidates in ASD, and second the historical list of concerns with the district.
Primary voting is June 22nd. Early voting is happening through the 18th. Check for locations at http://elections.utah.gov.
*Candidates I endorse, mainly due to their positions on math and civics education (This list has been edited after the primary to only show the candidates that made it through the primary. All are in the November election against a candidate that will maintain the status quo.)
A1-Lehi/Saratoga Springs/Eagle Mountain
*Paula Hill (http://paulahill4u.wordpress.com/)
A2-Highland/Alpine/Cedar Hills/Small segment of Northeast Lehi
*Wendy Hart (http://wendyhart2010.com)
Incumbent-*Tim Osborn (http://www.electtimosborn.com/)
*Scott Bell (http://www.BELLforSchoolBoard.com)
Historical List of Concerns with the District
- Alpine School District (ASD) intentionally removed the times tables, long division, and division by fractions from schools when they implemented Investigations math.
- ASD’s school board failed to fix the problem when presented with clear and mounting evidence of increased failure rates.
- ASD’s school board failed to remove Connected math when presented with facts about its failure, its removal from the state approved program list, and lack of any studies to support it.
- ASD actually confiscated textbooks at 4 known schools to ensure teachers had to switch to Investigations math. John Burton, candidate for school board in American Fork, was over those schools at the time. His direct role in that (if any) is unknown.
- ASD intimidated and threatened some teachers’ contracts at two elementary schools if those teachers didn’t implement Investigations math.
- Multiple parents were individually told “you’re the only one that’s ever complained about the math” by a district math official in an attempt to isolate them. A similar thing happened when parents complained about another program a few years earlier.
- ASD school board read a statement in 2003 to the Utah legislature on why they wouldn’t approve any more charter schools in ASD because the board wouldn’t be able to vouch for quality of education in those schools.
- Orem investigated breaking away from ASD so ASD promised a choice for schools between “standards-based” (Investigations style) math or traditional math.
- ASD only offers 2 “standards-based” programs (slightly better than Investigations). Then ASD provided teachers with Investigations math books the week before school, encouraged their use, and touts they now use “balanced” math. Public is lulled back to sleep while some ASD teachers use Investigations 100%.
The United States Constitution
- ASD is the ONLY school district in the state to refuse to help distribute “In God We Trust” posters to teachers…because the word “Republic” was on the posters.
- ASD is indoctrinating teachers (which filters to students) that we are not a Republic. Teachers in turn tell students we are not a Republic.
- ASD promotes social and political democracy (Definition of social democracy: transformation from capitalism to socialism).
- ASD linked their website to a radical anarchist who calls our Founding Fathers “predatory elitists” and is grateful we are moving away from being a republic toward pure democracy.
- ASD blames *parents* for “misrepresenting” their position.
- ASD refuses to tell how, and then lied about how the link got put up (told a parent the link just appeared out of nowhere).
- ASD’s school board refuses to respond to parent’s questions—instead, defends the district. (Who do they work for?)
- ASD administrators are given national awards for their commitment to promoting John Goodlad’s agenda.
- ASD continues to pull web pages from their site due to controversial content
- ASD just adopted a new termination policy limiting freedom of speech of district employees. You may be terminated if you bring “reproach” on the district.
- ASD has paid for BYU employees at CITES with our tax dollars.
In spite of these negatives I am eternally grateful to ASD because if it wasn’t for their ability to be the poster child for reform in Utah:
- We wouldn’t have a State Charter School Board
- We wouldn’t have got the state math standards raised
- We wouldn’t have got the help of legislators and the state school board to review the social studies standards and get the word Republic put back in the standards (in process)
- Parents wouldn’t be waking up to the dangers of socialism right in our own back yard